Built in 1880 by J Kirkland and described as an organ of "excellent pedigree". 1909 saw J J Binns of Leeds rebuild and extend the organ to three manuals, and add additional stops.
In 1969 a freak storm caused extensive flood damage. In 1992 the DCC agreed to work towards restoration of the organ to its former splendour. Keen fund raising activities by the whole church included a 1993 sponsored "Psalmathon" in which the choir sang all 150 psalms in one day and a walk to Lichfield from Stafford, across Cannock Chase, following a route which links St Chad's and the cathedral without going along any road (almost!).
When enough funds had been collected the church received one of the first National Lottery Heritage grants in Staffordshire to reach the £50,000 required, and the organ has now been restored to its original condition by Peter Collins of Leicestershire.
|Great Organ||Swell Organ|
|1.||Open Diapason No 1||8'||1.||Leiblich Bourdon||16'|
|3.||Stopped Diapason||8'||3.||Lieblich Gedeckt||8'|
|7.||Mixture 3 rank||7.||Mixture 3 rank|
|Choir Organ||Pedal Organ|
|1.||Stopped Diapason||8'||1.||Harmonic Bass||32'|
|1.||Choir to Pedal||1.||3 Toe Composition to Great|
|2.||Great to Pedal||2.||3 Toe Composition to Swell|
|3.||Swell to Pedal||3.||Balanced Swell Pedal|
|4.||Swell to Choir|
|5.||Choir to Great|
|6.||Swell to Great|